R.T NELSON AWARDS FOR SCULPTURE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Artists making an application for The R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture agree to be bound by these terms.
Please not that these terms may be subject to change at any time: any changes will be communicated to nominated artists at the time.
Nominations close 30 November 2023.
1. ALL NOMINEES
- Must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- May be nominated by anyone: themselves, their dealer, an arts organisation or any individual
- Will be nominated via the nomination form on the R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture or the NZ Art Show websites
- May be wall-hung, floor standing or displayed on a plinth. R.T Nelson can provide a plinth on request. Artworks may not be suspended from the ceiling
- Size limit: no more than 80cm x 80cm and 80cm on the longest side
- Weight limit: or health and safety purposes, each sculpture must be able to be carried comfortably by one person with low to average strength.
- Medium: any material is acceptable
- Domestic furniture and domestic textile crafts are not eligible
- All artworks must be new, original and not a copy of someone else’s art
- Collaborative works will be considered
- Nominees will provide the URL links to any online sites that represent the artist’s artworks and their artist bio
- If any artist does not have an online presence, then the artist will email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 December 2023 at the latest:
- Images of current or recent sculptures. 6 to 12 artworks are recommended so that the selection panel can get a good sense of the artist’s art practice
- Each artwork should be photographed from different angles so that the selectors can get a good sense of the artwork
- Physical details about each artwork: media and dimensions – bearing in mind our size and weight limit
- The narrative behind each artwork: what inspired the artworks?
- The price of each artwork
- An artist biography (no more than A4 or 350 words): include any exhibition, study, award history and any other useful information.
ASSESSMENT OF NOMINATIONS
- The nominations will be assessed and the finalists will be selected by a selection panel
- Finalists will be notified by 8 December 2023 and will receive full information and instructions, including important dates, to help them decide if they will participate as a finalists
- All selected finalists must confirm their selection and must exhibit in the awards finalist exhibition hosted by the 2024 NZ Art ShowArtwork must be ready for exhibition by 27 May 2024
RT. NELSON AWARDS FOR SCULPTURE EXHIBITION
5. DELIVERY AND COLLECTION OF ARTWORKS
- All finalist artworks must be delivered to the TSB Arena on the dates specified in the Artist Timeline
- Artists are responsible for the costs of freight to the show and the return of any unsold artworks after the show
- There are two options available for delivery and collection after the show – COURIER or HAND DELIVERY
- Delicate works, or sculptures that require assembly must be installed and packed out by the artist
- Uncollected artworks will be retained by the R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture as a donation
6. ANNOUNCMENT OF WINNERS
- The finalists will be judged prior to the exhibition opening to the public.
- The winners will be notified by 30 May 2024.
- The announcement of the award recipients will take place at NZ Art Show VIP Preview on 30 May 2024
- The prize pool comprises a Premier Award of $15,000, two Highly Commended Awards of $1,000 and a People’s Choice Award of $2,000.
- The finalists will be exhibited May 30 – June 2 at the TSB Arena, Wellington, hosted by the NZ Art Show 2023
- May 30: There is a VIP preview in the morning and a Gala event in the evening. Both of these events are private and there are no ticket sales for these
- Finalists are invited to the VIP Preview, but not to the Gala
- May 31 – June 2: the exhibition is open to the public – tickets will be made available for sale on the NZ Art Show website and at the venue during the show
- The NZ Art Show maintains full curatorial control of the R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture exhibition space and artists may not enter into any discussion about where their artwork is exhibited.
- Finalists acknowledge that images submitted by the artist may be used as part of publicity for the award and the NZ Art Show: this includes, but is not limited to, flyers, posters, billboards, social media, website, news articles and promotional activity. As this publicity forms part of the marketing strategy for the award, artists will not receive remuneration for the use of their images
- Any images of the R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture exhibition and exhibiting artworks as commissioned by the Awards management team remain the property of the R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture who reserve the right to use those images at their discretion
9. ALL FOR SALE
- All artwork must be for sale. Artworks may not be sold prior to the exhibition, unless it’s sold through R.T Nelson Awards Foundation
- Finalists will price their artworks (inclusive of commission)
- A 25% commission applies
- If an agent or dealer has entered an artist, then any revenue generated by sales may, if agreed to by the artist, be paid to the dealer minus the commission
- All sales will be made at the exhibition and artists will be paid, minus commission and GST on commission, by 20 July 2024
- Sold artworks will remain on exhibit for the duration of the awards exhibition
- The sculpture awards exhibition will be dismantled on Sunday June 4th: the exhibition is not open to the public on Sunday 4th.
- The R.T Nelson Awards for sculpture team will be responsible for the delivery of sold artworks to their new owners with the exception of delicate or artworks that require assembly: the artist will be responsible for delivering those artworks
10. TAX & GST
- All taxation liabilities will be the responsibility of all individual artists
- GST Registered artists will be responsible for all GST liabilities
- Artists who are not GST registered: R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture management will charge GST on the commission
- For more information or clarification, please contact an accountant or the IRD
- The R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture does not provide insurance cover therefore artists are strongly advised to make their own insurance arrangements in order to protect their work while in transit, in storage awaiting exhibition, at the exhibition and pending return to artist
- While the R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture Team will use its best endeavours to protect your artwork while in its care, the artist acknowledges that R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage caused to the art in transit or while in its care. Therefore, all efforts to retrieve lost art or repair damages are the full responsibility of the artist
- Should the exhibition be postponed or cancelled due to exceptional and unavoidable circumstances, alternative arrangements for final judging will be advised at the time
- Finalists must follow the terms and conditions or their artwork may be withheld from the finalists’ exhibition
- The R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture management reserve the right to change or amend these Terms & Conditions at any time. Artists will be notified of any changes